Feed the rabbits with cereal feed is recommended in each period of their life. Grain brings many health benefits, as it contains a lot of vitamins and minerals. And it is also quite profitable, because pure varieties and grain mixtures are financially affordable for most owners. In order to properly feed rabbits at home with cereals, it is necessary to become well acquainted with their lifestyle, digestion system and vital needs.
Features of the digestive system
The pet’s stomach is single-celled, with flabby thin muscles of the walls. This provides a rabbit life without gag reflexes. On the one hand, there is an advantage in this, the animal does not have to experience these terribly unpleasant sensations. On the other hand, if you do not watch and feed the forbidden rabbits, the stomach will stop and will not work anymore. In the worst case, it can burst and be fatal. And yet, it is not necessary to worry too much, because the animal has sharp incisors in its mouth that can grind most products and avoid many problems.
Another feature is the placement and size of the internal organs. The length of the duodenum is 12 centimeters. Food comes to her for one to seven hours. The intestine is also poorly developed, so that food moves through the body, frequent supply of new products is necessary.
Rabbit grain feed: rules for cooking and consumption
Rabbits grain can be given different varieties. The diet depends entirely on the season. The most famous feed for spring, summer and autumn are legumes and cereals. For example: alfalfa, peas, oats, winter rye and other herbs from the field. And in winter, feeding whole grains of barley, wheat, oats and corn is vital, since hay – a vegetable diet does not contribute to a quick weight gain.
It is necessary to give the rabbits mash and mixture. It is important to respect the proportions by the rules. This will add strength to the body for growth and normalizes the flow of beneficial trace elements into the blood.
Failure to comply with the rules, there are failures in the pet. For example: oats are digested by the digestive system much faster than barley. Thus, from large portions of barley in the diet, excess interior fat accumulates in animals, from which it becomes difficult for them to breathe, move and live. In order not to harm the health of pets, here are a few recommendations for feeding:
- Barley and corn will bring more benefits in a split and steamed form.
- Wheat and oats are soft, chew them easy, so they give in the usual dry form.
- If there is a desire to pamper animals, and that they get more vitamins, germinates germinate.
- Corn has similar properties to barley, so it needs to be mixed with feed, in which there is an increased level of proteins and amino acids.
Use of cereals for animals
There are many offers than to feed animals, but each rabbit breeder needs to figure out which grain is better for rabbits. What will bring more benefits.
- Oats – contains a large amount of pantothenic acid, helping to keep the body in good shape. Improves reproductive function. Despite the high calorie content, does not lead to obesity, it can be up to 50% of the total amount of food. The energy value of the product is 336 kcal. Grain is enriched with silicon, manganese, cobalt, copper and zinc. Contains vitamins B1, B5, B6. Carbohydrates up to 55%, proteins – 10%, fat – 8%.
- Wheat – contains a large amount of vitamin B, E, carbohydrates, fats and proteins. High nutritional value of the product does not allow adding more than 25–30% of the total amount of feed. From frequent feeding with wheat, the amount of gluten in the stomach increases dramatically, which causes a metabolic disorder and bloating in the body of the rabbit.
- Corn – contains little protein and calcium, but is full of carotene, vitamin B1, B2, PP, E, D and carbohydrates (60%). Contains vitamins, potassium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus. Long-term feeding in large portions can lead to obesity.
- Barley – it is recommended to give nursing rabbits and young brood, which needs a strong diet. Promotes rapid weight gain. The plant contains lysine and choline, improves overall health. There are vitamins of group B, potassium and calcium. For better assimilation of the product, it is recommended to grind the grains well, this will help to destroy the outer shell, which is difficult to digest by the stomach. And for rabbits of reproductive age, it is better to reduce the barley doses in order to prevent obesity and reduce the chances of the fertility of males and females.
Grain feed is very useful, but you need to carefully and correctly settle their quantity in the diet. If you feed only cereals, it can cause avitaminosis in a fragile organism due to the fact that only cereals cannot provide the necessary trace elements in full.
Wheat and oats are considered quite soft crops, so they can be offered to animals before meals in a clean, dry form. Barley and corn is better to grind in a cereal mill. For the correct distribution of products, you need to understand the needs of the pets themselves. It is necessary to take into account the age, gender, and marital status of the animal. Counting proportions make starting from these needs. For example:
- A mixture of 50% wheat, 25% barley and 25% corn is being prepared for young rabbits. Through the content of the necessary vitamins in the cereals, the animal must receive a sufficient dose of vitamins.
- Feeding females are better to give oats and barley in equal proportions. These cereals contain high energy value.
- Tribal males need to be given 25% wheat and 75% oats. This will help keep yourself in shape.
Very important cooking methods for rabbits. Each product is digested differently and brings a different degree of benefit. You need to understand what kind of grain is better to feed the rabbits so that the animals feel. There are several ways of cooking, but each of them can significantly improve the nutritional value of food.
Before you start cooking, you need to check the quality of the workpiece and, if necessary, clean the grain from dirty seeds, small stones, green unripe seeds, small pests and fungi. Do not use the product if the grains are studded with black spots, too dry or raw.
Careful observance of all the nuances and rules will improve the health of your pets and bring them more benefits.
When it is necessary to help the rabbit gain weight and height in a short period, yeast comes to the rescue. Especially useful yeast mash for meat breeds. For proper preparation you need to follow several rules:
- Yeast mixture must be constantly stirred.
- Use only warm water.
- Preparation to make in wooden boxes.
- The layer of the mixture should not exceed 35 centimeters.
This method is divided into three types: sponge, straight and starter.
In this variant, it is necessary to prepare six hours for the preparation of the dough and the products:
- 0.5–1 kg of pressed Baker’s yeast;
- 20 kilograms of feed;
- 50 liters of warm water;
- Large vessel.
Adding yeast to the water occurs in portions, stir constantly. Adding food, knead for a long time and thoroughly. After that, it is recommended to mix the mixture for five minutes every half hour.
For yeast after a dough you need another three hours, as well as:
- 150 liters of warm water;
- 80 kilograms of concentrated feed;
The remaining ingredients are added to the dough, stir every hour until the process is complete.
The essence of safe preparation of yeast lies in the fact that the process of preparing brew in it is missed. The total duration of the preparation of the mixture takes nine hours.
To prepare you need:
- One hundred kilograms of dry food.
- One kilogram of baked yeast pressed.
- 200 liters of warm water.
Mixing all the ingredients, the mixture should be mixed every 20 minutes throughout the process.
To prepare the starter in this method you need:
- 40 kg of malted carbohydrate feed.
- One kilogram of yeast.
- 20 liters of water.
Stir every 15 minutes for six hours. After the required time, divide the mixture into equal two parts. To one part add 20 kg of dry malted food, 10 liters of warm water and repeat the starter process. The procedure can be repeated a maximum of five times. And with another part, start the process of yeast, for this you need to add:
- 150 liters of warm water.
- 80 kilograms of feed.
After mixing the mixture, the feed should be kneaded every hour.
Steaming is done according to a very simple scheme.
- Pour a single-grade grain or its mixture into the bucket, with the expectation of swelling (do not pour a full bucket).
- Pour boiling water.
- Add one tablespoon of salt.
- Cover and leave for 5-6 hours.
The characteristics of germinated grain is to increase its nutritional level. Indeed, during growth, all useful trace elements are released from the core and pass into the stem. And from the stem, they are fully absorbed by the stomach.
- The grain that is prepared for germination should first be rinsed with warm water.
- If silver water is used for washing, one washing will suffice. In the case of drinking water, rinse twice. Do not pour out the second water, but use it to add room pot. Or to pour the grain itself from time to time to maintain the desired level of moisture. This is recommended due to the high content of beneficial trace elements in the second water after washing the grain.
- Grains that float to the surface of the water should be collected and discarded. They are dead and unusable.
- If spores of fungi were found from a previous inspection on the grain, such grain will have to be washed several times to get rid of all the negative elements to the maximum.
- The tank for germination of grain should be clay or covered with enamel.
- Nuance – any grain crop germinates better at night when there is no light.
- The germinated grain is ready for use, if necessary, you can leave it for a day in the refrigerator.
Grain mixture is especially needed in the winter. After all, if you give each cereal seed separately, there will be an excess of some vitamins and a shortage of others. Only from mixtures can a rabbit receive the rate of all vitamin groups, and have a good state of health. Preparation of a balanced feed may vary. You can get acquainted with the norms of the amount of each of the cereals in the mixture as a percentage by examining the table.