What rabbits eat at home every farmer should know. A rabbit is a unique animal, its meat is an ideal dietary product, and fur is used for sewing fur coats, hats, and skins on gloves. For all its virtues, it’s not so easy to keep a rabbit. The most important thing is to choose the right diet for the fastidious pet. Any beginner breeder should learn this. Eating rabbits is not so difficult, but it is a responsibility to approach this issue.
What do rabbits eat
The menu for eared mice should be compiled for each day and strictly monitor its execution, otherwise it will not work to breed rabbits. Practically the only serious problem faced by the owners of a rabbit farm is animal nutrition. Immediately after acquiring pets, you need to make a diet for them, and for this you need to know what rabbits eat at home. The basic principles of feeding should be based on balance and diversity.
Why is it important to feed the rabbits
- They have very weak stomach muscles. The intestines and stomach should never be empty, and for this you often need to give pets food and know what they can eat. It is necessary to feed the rabbits in small portions, and then leave hay and water in the cage.
- Digestion in rabbits works hard during the day. Rabbit must constantly chew and drink. When leaving the house even for a few hours it is necessary to leave the necessary food for the animals.
- Predisposition to diarrhea. Foliage and twigs protect the stomach and intestines from infections. With a properly formulated diet, the pet will develop and grow normally.
- Weak immunity. In rabbits, it is necessary to constantly develop and improve the quality of immunity and give products that activate the protective properties of the animal’s body.
Rabbit family owners must ask themselves what they want from their business. If the goal is meat and shiny skins, then taking care of food for domestic rabbits is the first necessity. To remove pets for meat, add more protein foods to the menu. If the plans feed the rabbits feed, it is better to choose a special mash for fattening individuals for meat. Also, any food is divided in accordance with the age and characteristics of the pet.
For example, pregnant females and young rabbits should be fed with the addition of minerals and vitamins to the food.
In addition to plants, the owners of rodents should offer other types of food to pets, then rabbits will grow healthy, cheerful and bring owners not only joy, but also a good income. How many kinds of feed are there? There are only 4 of them, and all of them must be present in the rabbit menu.
Green fodder is grass, but not everything. Best of all, animals eat clover, wormwood, nettle, yarrow and tansy. These herbs have healing properties, which is also important. The body of the rabbit is designed in such a way that it feels on its own what kind of grass it needs to eat more and which one less. Ideal when rabbits graze on the lawn and get their food.
Of course, if you are sure about what kind of grass grows on the plot, in the period from spring to late autumn you can provide them with animals without any special cares. But in the winter have to stock up on hay. Preference should be given to legumes, pulses, crops, and grains. This includes cabbage of any varieties (except red), tops from vegetables. Especially rabbits love to feast on beets from beets, Jerusalem artichokes, but this is very sweet, so the tops of sugar and fodder beets should not exceed 1/3 of the entire rabbit lunch portion. Potato tops – 1/4 of the total mass of feed. Tomatoes are 100% banned.
Rye, clover and lupine can be planted independently in early spring, then the rabbits will be provided with fresh grass for a long time. Take wild grass for food should be cautious: there is a great chance to accidentally seize along with useful poisonous. Mow should be young grass, as it is tastier and healthier.
Together with herbs, sprigs and leaves of alder, yarrow and oak are served on the table. This will consolidate the work of the gastrointestinal tract of rabbits. It is important to remember that they have a weak intestine and stomach, the digestive organs need to be helped to work. Little beetroot rabbits and its tops to feed is generally prohibited!
Of course, pets have their own food preferences. Beets, dandelions – their favorite delicacy. But this does not mean at all that it is only with this that they need to be fed. In no case. The menu should be made independently and monitor the health of animals. If digestive disturbances become noticeable, the diet should be reviewed.
These are the roots and silage grown on the beds. Succulent feed is used more often in winter, when the source of nutrients is absent. Juicy food is less rich in fiber and more rich in vitamins. Rabbits-moms are especially useful: they increase the amount of milk for feeding babies, and good feeding of rabbits reduces the risk of death of young animals.
What products belong to the juicy feed
- Cabbage. Rich in vitamins C, E. May provoke bloating, fermentation in the digestive tract. Small portions are the best solution to this problem.
- Beet (any, fodder or sugar). Increases metabolism, immunity. It has a weakening effect on the intestines, so it needs to be fixed (sprigs of oak, alder will work well).
- Pumpkin. The pledge of beautiful skins – regular consumption of pumpkin.
- Carrot. Rabbit’s favorite dish. It should be given a red and yellow product. The same applies to cubs: they can be offered carrots from 3 weeks of age, starting from 10-15 g. In winter, rabbits are well eaten and carrots dried from summer. A sufficient amount of carotene, vitamins B1, B2, C is stored in it.
- Potatoes. Before use, it is recommended to boil it. Starch is not the most ideal component in the diet of rabbits, as it is hard to digest, so it is undesirable to give it in its pure form. It is better to mix with other types of feed. Potatoes are quite nutritious, rodents will be full for a long time.
- Silage. Need to cook yourself or buy. This is a simple procedure. The silage is kneaded in pits or barrels, preferably from wood. The structure of the silo includes beets and other vegetables, tops, herbs. Everything is mixed, laid, covered with clay. It is necessary to close the hole tightly so that the oxygen in the pit or barrel gets in the smallest amount. The silo is ready after 2 months of aging.
A few secrets about the silo
- Do not use potato and beet tops.
- Corn (cobs), peas (whips) will work very well.
- You can add to the barrel or pit mealy paste. The process will go faster.
- From a good silage can not smell mildew, rot. Quality and fresh silage smells like sauerkraut. We need to make sure that the blanks are not rotted: spoiled food will lead to the death of the families of rabbits.
Rough food creates a comfortable digestion for rodents. Hay, twigs, grass meal, straw – all this is a source of protein and fiber. Approximately 1/4 of the feed portion is required. Grass hay mow in the spring when it blooms, until the grass became coarse or yellow. It is better to choose places for mowing with good soil moisture. These can be the same herbs as green food. Hay must be dried, stored later in a dry, well-ventilated area. Mowed grass is best preserved on special wooden flooring at a distance of about 50 cm from the ground.
This saves rough food from rodents. If the hay is poorly preserved, it can be recycled, you get a good grass meal. It is added to food in small portions. Drying hay under the bright sun is also a bad idea: vitamins are missing, rabbits eat such a product without much pleasure. Tree branches have a good effect on rabbit digestion. These can be branches of oak, alder, acacia, linden. It is possible to use branches of bushes: raspberries.
Labrador tea, elderberry, bird cherry, apricot is a poison for rabbits. It is strictly forbidden to use such branches when feeding. It is very convenient to keep branches in the winter, right in the snow. From this they do not lose their beneficial substances. Harvesting is necessary in June, tying brooms and hanging in a dry place. It is not recommended to keep and dry branches in the sun. Ears of juniper, spruce and pine are very much loved. Straw is harvested from oats and millet.
This is feed. Contains a large amount of protein. Eating mixed fodder provides an increase in body weight of rabbits. Concentrated feed is 1/3 of the diet. For rabbits suitable feed, which is used for feeding piglets and calves. There is a special dry granulated feed for eared fish. It is very convenient. Nothing to add to it is not necessary, unless there is a female feeding the baby. She needs to add grain to the diet: without it, lactation can be scanty.
The composition of this type of food includes cereals. First of all, oats, it can be used as a whole and in crushed form, it has a good effect on the work of the intestine. Despite its nutritional value, does not cause obesity. Corn also makes up a large proportion of concentrated feed. Excellent rabbits eat and porridge, especially small rabbits. Barley and wheat are germinated before they are given to animals. Such food causes fermentation. You can eat no more than 4 days in a row. Wheat bran, oilcake is also perfect for feeding. This is food waste.
Vitamins and supplements
With a lack of vitamins, any creature has health problems. This is especially true of rabbits whose immunity is often weakened. Lack of vitamin supplementation leads to disease, weight loss, decrease in the number of offspring. As a top dressing you can make a whole list of what the rabbit eats and gives branches of lilac, as well as willow, pine, Ivan-tea, pepper, buckwheat, barley, sunflowers. Vegetables can be given topinambur, squash, greens and cucumbers.
What vitamins are necessary for rabbits?
- Fish fat. Vitamin A, D.
It is necessary to give to all individuals, regardless of age. From 0.5 g to babies, and up to 3 g to nursing rabbits.
Present in wheat germ. If there is no wheat in the diet, you can add vitamin E separately in food.
Contained in bone meal, bone ash. Chalk – also a source of these vitamins.
Salt is the main source of minerals for animals. Salt is calculated in the same way as fish oil. Per day, babies are entitled to 0.5 g, for males and non-nursing individuals – 2 g, for feeding rabbits – 3 g. The need for vitamins and minerals increases with the arrival of cold weather. We must not forget to treat them to their pets in the winter every day. If there is a shortage of some element, pets can eat paper in the cage, their own fluff, so it is very important to give all the necessary trace elements that animals eat and tolerate well.
What do rabbits eat in summer and winter
In the summer, it is a pleasure to make a menu for always gnawing pets. A variety of herbs, plants makes it possible to vary the diet. At this time, it is necessary to observe the state of the animals: add hay and twigs to help pets cope with bloating problems. In addition, there is plenty of water in the succulent grass and leaves, which also contributes to the occurrence of diarrhea.
Winter is a difficult period. It is necessary to prepare for it in advance, pick up the necessary grains. If you spend on this part of the summer, do not have to clutch at the head in a cold February, running in search of silage and straw for feed. Vegetables, roots can be stored not only fresh, but also frozen, dried. They will have enough vitamins and minerals. By the way, not everyone knows that sauerkraut is a delicacy for rabbits. It can be prepared in large quantities and there is usually no problem with storage. Do not forget about the chalk and salt. Needles, branches of conifers – a source of vitamin C, will also be useful for giving a Christmas tree and pine. Vitamin C is necessary in the winter to maintain immunity. In winter, adding such branches to the diet of rabbits is the rule.
Another rule is to increase portions of rabbits, not only with age, but also during lowering the temperature of the surrounding air. It is better to give warmed food on particularly cold days. Calfs are a good fit for young. Especially carefully it is necessary to follow the drinkers in winter: the water freezes in the cold, and rabbits drink frequently. Water is necessary for digestion, without it pets will quickly die. If the rabbit is thirsty, he will chew on ice, but this will not benefit his health. It may also freeze and food in the feeders.
Food bans for rabbits
- Sweet. It is about confectionery and chocolate products.
- Branches and fruits of apricot, bird cherry.
- Grass euphorbia, begonia, celandine.
- Tomatoes and fruits of tomatoes.
- Husk of peas and corn.
- Red cabbage.
- Pea porridge.
- Some fruits, for example, agave.
- Up to 3 months you can not give the tree and large branches of other trees.
- Of the vegetables, onions should not be given in the first place, but many livestock breeders claim that dried onions have become part of the imported compound feed for rabbits.
- Alfalfa can be given only in dry form and with restrictions.
Growing rabbits is not easy, but such a thing brings a lot of fun. They multiply rapidly, which is good for an enterprising farmer. You must be attentive to the needs of the animal, follow simple rules, follow the advice, then problems can be avoided. It is important to remember that the rabbit is unpretentious in food, but requires careful attitude to the characteristics of the digestive system.
After each meal, the cage, drinkers and feeders should be completely cleaned. If such precautions are not followed, an unsanitary situation may occur. In such conditions, pets are more likely to pick up various diseases. If you do not remove litter and food residues at all, it attracts rodents, especially mice, which are considered carriers of diseases. What to do and for what?
For cleaning the cage, if the animals are kept indoors, disinfectants should be used. If the maintenance of rabbits occurs in nature (in burrows or greenhouses), then for pets it is necessary to equip their dwelling and repair all possible holes. Some breeders use moss (reindeer moss) for embedding.
If pets have problems with digestion, then you can give them chamomile. Farmers give chamomile, as an anti-inflammatory agent, as well as to improve the absorption of food. In its raw form, chamomile is not given, for a start it needs to be slightly dried. All fruits and vegetables are introduced into the diet of rabbits gradually and begin with small dosages. Before you give the rabbit fruits or vegetables, you need to rinse them under running water, remove all bones and peel. Do not give rotten or spoiled products. If you follow simple rules for the care, maintenance and feeding of pets, and most importantly – to know what rabbits eat, then you can grow healthy and mobile individuals even at home.