Rabbit food should be varied and balanced so that the animals are healthy. Starting from 3 months, vegetables are gradually introduced into the diet of fluffies. In this regard, the pet owners have a question – is it possible to feed the rabbits with zucchini, because from mid-summer to the end of September there is no shortage of these vegetables. From this article, readers will learn how useful zucchini for rabbits, how and in what quantity they can be offered to pets.
Can I feed rabbits with zucchini?
Zucchini must be included in the diet of rabbits. These vegetables contain many vitamins necessary for normal growth of the animal. Such food like eared pets, it is juicy and tasty. However, zucchini can not make up a significant part of the menu. It should be present and other vegetables – carrots, pumpkin, tomatoes. And the basis of the diet are cereals – corn, oats, barley. That is, zucchini is a useful addition to the main menu, but not its replacement.
Young fruits or slightly unripe fruits are especially tasty and juicy. They do not have seeds, and the skin is thin and delicate. Rabbits enjoy such vegetables with great pleasure.
What is useful zucchini for rabbits?
To understand how useful zucchini for rabbits, you need to consider its chemical composition. This vegetable contains vitamins of group B – thiamine and riboflavin, which are involved in the regulation of carbohydrate and lipid metabolism, improve the functioning of the heart and endocrine system. Even in squash pulp is present, albeit in small quantities, ascorbic acid. It strengthens the immune system of animals.
Squash for rabbit
Trace elements contained in these fruits are necessary for rabbits for normal growth. These include:
Reference. Zucchini – a source of fiber. Although it has been established that a small amount of it is absorbed in rabbits, thanks to it, the intestines work better.
How to feed?
Squashes can be given to rabbits throughout the growing season of this crop – from the beginning of summer to the end of autumn. However, the advantage is to give young fruits. Over-grown zucchini contains less nutrients than unripe. If only the old squash is at the disposal of the owner of the kroleferma, it is recommended to first peel off the skin and remove the seeds. Fruits collected from the garden, or purchased on the market, need to be washed with hot water. All sorts of pollution can cause stomach upset in pets.
It is important to figure out how many zucchini can eat rabbit, because these animals are voracious and happy to eat everything that lies in the feeder. The basis of the eared ration is mixed fodder, its share in the total menu is 70%. The remaining 30% – juicy food and various vegetables. That is, zucchini is given in small quantities, combining it with other vegetable crops and grass.
Zucchini is introduced into the diet of young stock gradually, starting from three months of age. At first, offer no more than a teaspoon, grated pulp. It is important to observe the reaction of the organism to the new product. If digestive upset occurs, it is better to postpone the introduction of zucchini in the menu of rabbits.
Attention! Fruits collected at the beginning of the growing season, in early spring, may contain nitrates and pesticides. To avoid trouble, they should be soaked in cold water for 2-3 hours, after which you can offer vegetables to rabbits.
Is it possible to give zucchini leaves?
Experienced breeders caution against feeding their pets with fresh greens of the zucchini. Such food can provoke indigestion. They offer to thoroughly wash the tops, chop it, fill it with boiling water and leave for a quarter of an hour. After that, the liquid is drained, and the zucchini leaves are added to the main feed or mixed with bran or potatoes.
Attention! If the culture was treated from pests with chemicals, do not offer it to rabbits.
Can I give a pumpkin?
Pumpkin is another plant of the Gourd family. It contains a lot of carotene and vitamins. This vegetable can be fed rabbits, adhering to the same rules that apply to the zucchini.
Pumpkin is given in a small amount in both raw and boiled form, freeing it from the peel and seeds. If vegetables containing a lot of fiber are included in the diet of pets, it is necessary to ensure that there is enough water in the drinker.
Rabbits are happy to eat zucchini and pumpkin, they like these vegetables, but the pet owner should limit the amount of food in their diets containing coarse fiber. It is heavy for the delicate digestive system of eared pets. These cultures are useful if you give them to rabbits not too often and little by little.