Green food in general and grass in particular form the basis of the diet of rabbits. These are, after all, rodents and herbivores, so they simply cannot exist without the corresponding components of the diet. This is the main reason why each rabbit breeder should know exactly which grass can be given to rabbits, and which one should not. It will save him a lot of time and effort, and his wards will literally save lives.
What kind of grass can and should not be given to rabbits
General recommendations for green feeds
First you need to figure out what the beginning rabbit breeder needs to know, supplementing the rabbits ration with green food. There are some fairly simple recommendations that are easy to remember and, at the same time, they will significantly increase the chances of growing healthy and strong individuals.
- The first – grass, which is given to rabbits, should be with thin leaves and stems. All fleshy and thick, as a rule, contain toxic substances. And is it possible to feed rabbits with grass that does not contain such – a rhetorical question.
- The second is that all green food must be dried, even if it is alfalfa (which is sometimes sown) or dandelions. Yes, in the wild, rabbits calmly eat and are fresher, but domesticated, bred for economic purposes, have more tender stomachs. Large volumes of fresh herbs will cause bloating or even diarrhea. Neither will have a positive effect on the health of rabbits. Therefore, fresh grass for rabbits, to put it mildly, is undesirable.
- Third, it is better to place the grass in special senniki and you can never press it tightly. On the contrary, a little fluff mound is preferable. In this case, the green food will not clog, and take in the parasites, along with hazardous substances.
- Fourth, all the grass should be quite young. Old, shriveled and tough leaves and stems are not the best food for rabbits. And no treatment of this fact will change. What kind of grass to feed rabbits – this is the choice of a rabbit breeder. But even the most useful types in an unsightly form are undesirable. Also, what kind of grass do rabbits love? Certainly not old and tough.
Now next in line are useful herbs for domestic rabbits, such as alfalfa and plantain. This is an important point. Every rabbit grower needs to know what grass can feed the rabbits of their household. Moreover, the diet should be compiled, based not only on their capabilities, but also on the needs of rabbits. At different times and periods of life, they (especially rabbit) need different substances that are contained in different types of herbs.
So, the main useful herbs for rabbits in the diet:
- Medicinal dandelion. Especially useful because it increases the appetite of rabbits for grass, which contributes to the rapid set of slaughter weight. You can give in large enough volumes, but not more than a third of the total "green" diet. Otherwise, there is a probability of decrease in fertility of rabbits and rabbits;
- Siberian hogweed. From him, rabbits can only be given leaves. Stems are too hard and bitter for them. It is preferable in the diet of rabbits with offspring, since it significantly improves lactation;
- Nettle. It is possible to give this “biting” plant entirely, except for its leaflets. It also makes excellent dried stocks for the winter. First of all, due to the fact that even in dried nettles, a considerable number of nutrients increase the immunity;
- Coltsfoot. It is also massively used in blanks for the winter, but in the spring-summer period it should also be given. Well helps with stomach problems in animals. Some do not even shy away from planting it;
- Pyrei. From this plant you can give only thoroughly washed and dried rhizomes. Blanks can be stored for a couple of years, and have a strong diuretic effect, along with high nutritional value;
- Plantain. One of the most famous components of the diet of rabbits. In addition to high nutritional value, it significantly increases the body’s regenerative capacity;
- Sagebrush. Just compulsory grass in rabbit breeding. In addition to its nutritional value, it very well cleanses the body of these herbivores from various harmful substances, while enhancing their appetite. Therefore, using wormwood, rabbits will get rid of only dangerous "ballast", and will not lose weight in the cleaning process.
These are not the only moments in which grass can be given to rabbits and which they eat with pleasure (vetch, alfalfa, although sometimes they need to be sown, but these are not lawn species), but perhaps the most useful and, at the same time, common . Most of them are meadow species that are easy to mow (especially after rain) and collect in large quantities for subsequent drying.
But what should be given even more attention is the fact that grass should not be given to rabbits when feeding. First of all, because, of course, contained toxic substances that give very unpleasant effects. Yes, many of the flowers listed below are abundantly used in medicine, but there they are already in a highly processed form.
In their pure form, after consumption, they will either lead to the quick death of rabbits when they eat them, or “simply” significantly reduce their overall lifespan and may even spoil the quality of meat, making it tasteless or dangerous (or both). So, poisonous herbs for rabbits.
The first in the list should be noted not very well-known representative of the lily, one of the dangerous herbs for rabbits. This is an autumn crocus, also known as the meadow winter man. Its flowers bloom at the end of the summer and immediately attract attention with their bright purple or pink color, and also give a signal to grass pickers for rabbits.
However, the danger of the autumn crocus does not change with the season. Therefore, photos or pictures of these cunning poisonous beauties should be found, studied and thoroughly remembered. This will prevent their presence in the diet of rabbits.
After taking, the following symptoms begin to appear in rabbits: weakness, diarrhea, increased salivation, low temperature. If two or three of them are noticed, one should go over the grass in search of the autumn crocus and remove it.
But what kind of grass, dangerous to rabbits, is much more common, so it is celandine. Most children are familiar with it, because, along with clover, it is one of the favorite means of self-treatment for the little mischievous. Yes, it is celandine, with its famous "milk". Yellow flowers, the specific shape of the leaves and the stem are not to be confused with anything.
The immediate effect on the body of this herb for rabbits does not always occur here, and it consists in weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, and even convulsions. Sometimes, however, such obvious symptoms are not observed, but the total life expectancy of the animal is reduced by about a third. In case it is a breeding individual, there is a lot to think about.
In this plant its widespread and unpretentiousness is unpleasant. Is that in the meadows you will not stumble on it, but the hills, forests and swamps can easily become a refuge for the hemlock.
However, it is saved by its visibility in the form of white round clusters of flowers and thick stems. Therefore, mowing this plant and not noticing it in a common pile of grass is problematic.
In the diet of grass for hemlock rabbits simply unacceptable. Symptoms after he gets into the body gives different, but the most unpleasant of them is the most prominent – paralysis of the hind legs of the animal. In small doses – temporary, in large … No, the permanent is unlikely, but the coordination of the rabbit will be greatly disturbed (for example, refer to the medical video).
Beautiful and seemingly harmless buttercups, can have the most unpleasant effect on the body of rabbits, if they fall into a common sennik. Animals do not share that gnaw. Grass – and all right.
Meanwhile, these yellow flowers on tight legs give such unpleasant effects as increased drooling, diarrhea, vomiting and bloating, along with severe pain in the same area.
The biggest danger comes from fresh buttercups. But even dried, large quantities of these herbs for rabbits still give their effects, so do not neglect caution when collecting herbs in the floodplains of rivers and lowlands – the favorite habitats of these plants.
Another deceptively beautiful flower, with a large head of yellow or purple. It is found mainly in forest glades and hills. It prefers a rather dry, sandy soil.
Its poison, when it is eaten by rabbits, also gives an effect on the stomach, disrupting the work of the excretory system and provoking severe swelling. True, if the chamber is well dried, then it becomes harmless, so it can be more or less easily used for winter harvesting. Although, if there is an opportunity to get around these beauties – it is better to do so. To avoid.
Another very dangerous representative of the buttercups, which is often given to rabbits. Or rather, you can even say the most dangerous. Its poison, even in relatively small quantities, has a catastrophic effect on the body of rabbits. And diarrhea here will be only the first signal. It will be followed by a rapid decrease in pressure and temperature, along with a slower pulse and respiration. Death from aconite is also not uncommon.
Fortunately, the wrestler has a fairly noticeable appearance, resembling a bunch of purple bells on a dense stem (you can’t confuse them with anyone even in the photo). Seeing such beauty, you should stop the braid and carefully go around the dangerous area, so as not to bring your deadly poison to your pets.
As for the danger of this plant, everything is somewhat more blurry. When the rabbits eat them, some symptoms may begin that are not inferior to the buttercups, and some will be eaten without any consequences. The fact is that the strength and volume of poison in different types of hellebore also differ. However, there are quite a lot of them, so it’s best to just avoid them all.
These are tall plants, literally strewn with flowers of white or greenish color. They are given an enormous height, sometimes up to one meter, so skipping these giants is not easy. Their favorite habitat zones are mountains and forest-steppe.
The most dangerous of the symptoms caused by the hellebore is difficulty in breathing in rabbits. Such a nuisance can be fatal with awesome quickness.
In terms of the degree of danger, even among poisonous herbs are different. There are those that most rabbits will not notice, and there are those that can have a catastrophic effect on their bodies.