Cereals are concentrated feed, their value in nutritional value, carbohydrate content, protein and vitamin composition. What grain to feed the rabbits so that the diet is balanced, enriched with useful substances? What cereal is better absorbed, how to make pet food better?
What grain is suitable
Not all crops are suitable for feeding rabbits, cereals differ in caloric content, vitamin composition, some foods cause bloating in large quantities. Therefore, selecting a concentrated feed, the breeder relies on the composition, the energy value of food, as well as the degree of its digestibility by the animal body.
What grain is suitable?
- Wheat. Contains carbohydrates, fats, protein, vitamins B, E. Due to the nutritional value in feed mixtures, the percentage ratio of cereal is 30%. Wheat is used in feeding the rabbits for better growth and weight gain. Grain rabbits love steamed and dry, but if you give it constantly, because of the content of gluten swelling develops.
- Oats The grass belongs to the best feed, the grain has a high nutritional and energy value (336 kcal), is enriched with minerals (silicon, manganese and cobalt), copper and zinc are present. Vitamins are represented by group B: B1, B5, B6. Substances are responsible for metabolic processes, positively affect the reproductive system. Pantothenic acid is involved in digestion, contains natural antioxidants, removing harmful components from the body of animals. In cereals, the increased carbohydrate content is up to 55%, protein – 10%, fat – 8%. Therefore, oats in crushed form is included in the first supplements for the young. Good to eat his rabbits in the composition of dry food.
- Corn. It is considered an energy feed due to the amount of carbohydrates (60%) and caloric content (119 kcal). Includes vitamins B1, B2, PP, E, and D. Of the minerals are potassium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus. Corn has a positive effect on the growth and weight of animals, activates metabolic processes, is well absorbed by the body of the rabbit. But there is not a lot of protein in it, therefore, as a monocorm culture is not suitable, it is better to feed it as part of mixtures.
- Barley. Nutritional value makes barley an excellent feed for suckling and nursing rabbits, young animals are given it for rapid growth. Lysine and choline improve the general condition of rabbits, B vitamins, potassium and calcium provide the body with components for normal life. For reproductive livestock, the amount is limited, since this herb causes obesity, which negatively affects the reproductive function of males and females.
Grain food is a valuable food, but you cannot always give the rabbits only grain. If you do not provide additional nutrition in the form of succulent fodder and high-quality hay, avitaminosis develops in lagomorphs, digestion and metabolic processes are disturbed, and immunity decreases. Grain feeds are not able to fully provide animals with vital trace elements and vitamins, amino acids. For example, in grain, except for corn, there are no carotenoids, vitamins C, A, D.
How to give
Feeding the rabbit with grain has its own secrets; proper preparation of the cereals before giving the animals will help to increase the nutritional value of the food.
Processing improves digestion and absorption of substances, enriches feed composition and increases weight gain.
Some rabbit breeders prefer to feed crops in a dry form, without grinding the grain. But this approach does not justify itself: the nutritional value and digestibility of the feed are low, which leads to an increase in product consumption.
- For example, barley and corn will be absorbed more fully if they are crushed and steamed.
- Soft wheat and oats are suitable for dry feeding in its pure form, the rabbits chew them easy.
- As a delicacy and vitamin supplement, the cereals are germinated.
- Corn is preferable to use in combination with other feeds, characterized by a high content of protein and amino acids. Therefore, you need to add peas or beans, clover and cake.
- When it is difficult to purchase grain independently, ready-made feeds are used for home feeding. The main thing is to ensure proper storage to prevent dampness and the development of mold. If everything is done correctly, the animals in the household will be healthy.
- Corn for the future do not grind: in it there is a lot of fat, therefore the crushed grain quickly burns through. The optimal storage method is in dry cobs.
The method of preparing grain for rabbits is used for active growth and weight gain. The practice of feeding yeast feed gives high rates in meat breeds, the type of feeding is allowed from 4 months. In a container with ground grain, warm water is poured in a ratio of 1: 2, 36 g of yeast is diluted with 2 liters of water. The composition is stirred, left overnight. For fermentation, it will take 6 or 9 hours, during this period the mass is periodically stirred. In the morning, pets are fed by adding 2-3 tablespoons to a serving of dry cereals at each meal. This lasts five days, then change the feed.
The steaming procedure makes the food sweet and soft, its digestion improves, it is absorbed more actively, and its ears will be eaten with appetite. For this, grain of one type or mixture of cereals is poured into a bucket, but not to the brim. Leave 10 cm in the calculation that the volume of the content after steaming will increase. Pour boiling water, add art. l salt, the composition is mixed and the bucket is covered with a lid. After 5 hours, the "dish" will be ready.
It is undesirable to give rice and boiled cereal to rabbits. Fresh white bread is not recommended, it is forbidden to feed with baking and rye flour products.
Products increase the formation of mucus in the intestines and cause fermentation processes, which leads to bloating.
The value of sprouted grains is that “blocked” nutrients and enzymes that do not penetrate the rabbit into the body when eating dry food are released and absorbed completely. The swollen fiber cleanses the intestines of the animal, removing the decay products, strengthening the immune system.
How to sprout oats right?
- For germination, select pure grains no longer than one and a half centimeters. Long oat seeds are poorer in composition, quickly deteriorate and release toxins.
- If there are few rabbits in the farm, it is enough to take a plate or fold the grass into a rag, wet it. Constantly maintaining moisture, wait for the seeds to germinate.
- In a large farm, grain is germinated in buckets; for this purpose, oats are poured with water so that it rises 2 cm above it.
- After 12 hours, the seed will swell, it is shifted into plastic bags with holes at the bottom, it is not necessary to tie them tightly. Holes are needed for draining excess moisture.
- Bags are placed in a warm place. In order for the grain not to become rancid, the packets are shaken periodically, the layer should not exceed 8 cm.
- If the mixture is darkened, it is no longer suitable for use.
- When sprouts appear, vitamin food is ready. You should not give it a lot at once, it will cause bloating. In the diet, germinated cereals should be introduced gradually.
- Adding germinated oats to the mix, you should not twist it in a meat grinder. When in contact with iron, the enzymes are destroyed.
How many cereals are required at different periods of life, what grain can a rabbit be given in larger quantities? Grain crops own 70% of the diet in winter, but for feeding it is undesirable to stop at one type of concentrated feed. An excessive proportion of some vitamins and a lack of other substances affect the health of pets.
For the preparation of a balanced mixture of cereals take into account the age and physical condition of the animals. The ratio of grain in the composition of food for age groups is presented in the table.