Rabbit is a popular pet. But in order to contain it, you need to make a lot of effort, because you need to take care of it, clean it and, finally, feed it. And then everyone can get the question: “And how much does a rabbit eat? And what does he eat? And how to feed him correctly? ”Answers to all these questions should be given immediately.
The content of the article:
Types of feed.
First you need to understand what a rabbit eats. The best food for furry animals is feed, but they are:
1. Green feed. Simply put, this is ordinary grass, greens, cabbage. This is easier to feed in the warm season, and in the fall and winter to use other food. But you also need to know that the rabbit is not able to eat all kinds of herbs. These animals are well digested such herbs as lupins, cereals, legumes, clover. Also, our animals normally belong to vegetables, for example, potatoes or beets. But with all these green feeds, you need to keep an eye on the rabbit, because he may have problems due to excessive use of certain herbs.
2. Rough feed. What is it? These types of feed include branches, condensed grass, hay, and so on. But you should also know that not all branches can be given to an animal. Rabbits treat badly the branches of some fruit trees, for example, apricots. But the ash, linden, you can easily give fluffy. Hay should be prepared from those varieties of grass that the rabbit eats at the usual time.
3. Succulent feed. These are fruits, fruits, berries, and so on. Rabbits are also gourmets, they will prefer to eat watermelon or carrots, and maybe pumpkin. You can also prepare silage – from grated grass and root crops.
Compound feed: what it is and how much to give.
In addition to these types of feed, you can indulge the rabbit and give him feed. It is believed that this is a concentrated feed, which gives the rabbits a lot of useful elements and vitamin, they contain a balanced composition of proteins, fats and carbohydrates, and also contains a large amount of protein. Such feed must be introduced into the diet of the animal for a long time so that he is accustomed. The most nutrients are:
All these products are well suited for such animals, give him strength and energy. Mixed feed is the most useful, but this way of feeding rabbits is also the most expensive.
Types of feed.
Compound feeds are several types, namely:
1. Full ration. Here, vitamins and nutrients harmonize well with each other; such food contains all the necessary elements for a normal rabbit life.
2. Feed additives. Most often it is vitamins and minerals. You need to know what vitamins to add to the rabbit in the diet, because each has its own properties. With Vitamin A, with deficiency, there may be problems with reproduction of animals, as well as a problem with the eyes. Vitamin B helps digestion and the functioning of internal organs, and its lack can lead to loss of appetite. Vitamin C supports the digestive system and strong immunity, with deficiency problems with teeth.
3. Concentrated feed. The feed uses cereals and legumes to give the rabbit the necessary substances. Such feed should be given to every animal.
All of them contain almost identical elements. Most often, manufacturers add cereals, bran, yeast, they can add the smallest pieces of meat or fish, and also vitamins and minerals.
Compound feeds have their advantages:
Give the necessary nutrients to the body
Rabbits grow faster, gain more weight
Compound feeds are useful for rabbit-moms
Easy to store
Easy to transport
You can make yourself a prescription, thereby selecting the most necessary elements for the animal
But there are some downsides:
Need proper selection of nutrients for each individual rabbit
Small shelf life
You need to feed the animals, because the feed must be given with something, for example, with branches or hay.
You need to monitor the composition so that there is not too much sugar, protein and fat.
The cost of feed.
The cost depends on the brand of the manufacturer, so the prices may differ significantly from the real. On average, the cost may be:
1. For young animals, food is usually cheaper, the price will be about 18-25 rubles per kilogram.
2. For nursing rabbits and females a kilogram of feed will cost around 22 rubles.
3. For males or non-mating females suitable feed for 20 rubles per kilogram.
Remember that it is important to pick up the compound feed just under the age of the rabbits.
How much feed to give per day.
The answer to this question depends individually on the pet and its breed. But there are several ways to calculate rabbit feed rates:
1. Calculate the feed unit – a kilogram of oats. Simply put, one hundred grams of feed unit is one hundred grams of oats.
2. Calculate the rate of protein.
From all this it follows that pets need to be fed in different ways. The daily rate for individuals that do not breed is 160 fodder units per day, but for the male it is necessary 180 fodder units, for females it all depends on the case, for nursing it is necessary from 300 to 700 fodder units.
Interestingly, the dosage even depends on the color of the animal, light rabbits eat less. And there is the view that in the dark rabbits eat more. What the light But the main factor is, of course, the time of mating. Rabbits of normal development are capable of procreation by the fifth month, and rabbits of a larger size by 6, respectively, may require more feed. For slaughter the rabbit is better to fatten, while increasing the dosage of feed.
Here are some examples of the required norms:
1. Adults, weighing up to 5 kilograms, are able to eat up to 50 kg of feed per year.
2. Rabbits, under the age of 4 months, eat less, about 20 kg / year.
In the same day the rate of adding feed is:
1. 60 g for adult males
2. 100 g for a nursing rabbit
3. 50 g for young rabbits
4. Rabbits are not for slaughter, that is, decorative animals should eat about a tablespoon of feed pellets per day.
Norm for young individuals.
For little rabbits there are their own rules that must be followed:
1. For babies from 40 days it is already possible to feed in small doses of mixed feed, the norm is 100-120 feed units.
2. For rabbits from 60 days should be fed at a rate of 150 feed units.
3. Rabbits from four months can be fed a portion of 200 feed units.
4. A young of 120 days requires a portion of 225 feed units.
Compound feed: house making.
If you buy feed from manufacturers – it is too expensive, then try to make it at home. To do this, there are several recipes, you need to choose the one that suits your rabbit.
1. Mix 3 servings of barley, two servings of wheat and add oats or peas, yeast.
2. Mix oats with corn and wheat bran.
3. To add hay to oats, corn, grains of wheat and grass, crush everything thoroughly and mix.
4. Rabbits before slaughter should be fed with approximately the following feed: meat and grass meal, barley, corn, peas, yeast.
5. For nursing rabbits and young rabbits a recipe is suitable: grass meal, barley, oats, oilcake, bran, salt, yeast.
6. Suitable for rabbits from 4 months to 10: oats, wheat, chalk, cake, corn.
At different times of the year you can spend different ingredients, in the winter it is better to give more nutrients, and in the summer to dilute it with grass. Compound feed after manufacture must be kept in a dry container, in a dark place, as o may deteriorate.
For the manufacture of feed you may need a special device called an extruder. It costs a lot of money, so it is used only by experienced breeders and those for whom raising a rabbit is not just a hobby. The principle of operation of such a device is very simple, you just need to grind the components, fall asleep in the car. She herself will compress the elements into small granules, which can be fed to animals. But such a machine may be small, so you may also need devices such as a grain crusher, a grinder, a dryer, an oil press, and other devices.
If the divorce and maintenance of rabbits for you is just a hobby and entertainment, then there is no need to buy such devices. Compound feed in this case can be done simply in the form of porridge. Only it is necessary to chop well and mix the ingredients.
Rules for feeding animals:
Add greens, hay or branches to the feed. Remember that hay should be made in advance and only herbs useful for the rabbit should be used.
The quality of the granules can be checked with water. Just throw them into it, if you notice a strong swelling, then it is better not to feed these animals.
Feed the feed with clean, lukewarm water.
Do not allow sugar in the diet of the animal.
Feed the rabbits only with special feed, do not give food to birds or pigs.
If you decide to change some ingredient, then you should do it gradually, increasing the dose each time. Also do if you want to completely change the pet’s diet.
Compound feed should be stored in a cool, dark place. And you should follow the expiration date, it is not usually large.
It is necessary to monitor the caloric content of feed and do not overfeed rabbits.
Castrated rabbits also need to be fed in a special way. For them suitable food containing less protein, but they need more fiber.
When feeding rabbits feed, remember that this is not the main food for animals, but only an additive that gives rapid growth of the pet and balances the beneficial substances in the body. But you should always add greens, cabbage, carrots, fruits or hay to the feed. Which rabbit will refuse this? In general, any rabbit does not eat much per day. It is enough to give the adult rabbit zhmen feed in the morning and evening so that it feels good, then your rabbit will be all right. Do not overfeed animals, it can badly affect their health. But remember that a rabbit in a manger should always have food and clean water, only then will it grow healthy. And how much to eat, he himself can decide.
It should also be remembered that each rabbit needs its own approach and diet. Young rabbits need to be fed differently than adults. The female rabbit eats more, especially if she is pregnant or preparing for mating. All these factors should be taken into account by everyone who has rabbits at home, as well as those who are only going to get one or several rabbits to become an experienced rabbit breeder.