Compound feed for rabbits is a type of low-volume nutritious feed containing a mixture of: cereals, grass meal, dietary supplements. There are mixed feed for rabbits with a full set of substances necessary for nutrition or complete feed, concentrated feed or concentrates and PMVS – protein-vitamin mineral supplements or BMVK – protein-mineral vitamin concentrate. See feed additives. Crude protein, fat and fiber are the components of complete feed.
A photo. Optimal feed mix for rabbits
Compound feed for rabbits, in what proportions to give
- Compound feed in the diet of the decorative rabbit is only 20-30%, grass, hay, herbal briquettes – 70-80%.
- Compound feed in the diet of rural rabbits in a different ratio, they need to spend a lot of energy in the winter or summer.
The winter ration of a productive rabbit for intensive fattening consists of the following main components:
- concentrates (mixed fodder, grain of different types) – 65%
- rough (hay, branches) – 20%
- succulent feed (roots) .15%
The summer diet of the productive rabbit consists of the following main components:
- concentrates (mixed fodder, grain of different types) – 65%
- green mass (grass) – 35%.
Rabbit food, how to apply correctly
The ratio may vary, supplemented with succulent feeds, vitamins, may increase, within certain limits when fattening for meat, but the principle must be respected. It has the health of a rabbit, based on the physiological characteristics of the digestion of this animal. Feed for rabbits with grass meal is considered complete.
Compound feed and features of digestion of a rabbit
Rabbit is not important the amount of protein, carbohydrates, fats in the feed, more important is the quality of the components
The physiology of rabbit digestion is designed in such a way that it is better for him to have low-nutritional foods for health. But there are known cases of mass death of rabbits from the components contaminated with microbes, for example, when feeding with mixed feed with unroasted meal. It is well known that the basis of the rodent’s diet is a large feed with low nutritional value. Therefore, the rabbit’s digestion is peculiar, different from the digestion of other animals.
- In the intestine a crawl should always be “pressure” or peristalsis to promote the chyme – the contents of the intestines. Head creates a constant chewing hay, grass, branches. The rabbit’s empty intestine stops. This rabbit is different from other animals.
- The rabbit is the only animal with a cecotrophic type of digestion, called coprophagy incorrectly. The contents of the intestine are repeatedly swallowed and digested in the intestines. The basis of the cecotrophe is made up of proteins, fats, vitamins, other important components, the nutrient part of the feed (compound feed, grain). The balance of coarse and grain components, creates the conditions for normal digestion of the rabbit. Additionally, about the characteristics of rabbit digestion – eating feces.
Rabbit health is hay, and satiety is grain.
A photo. Rabbits eat grain
What will happen to the rabbit if you feed only feed
Without going into the details of the Krebs cycle, the rabbit is unable to absorb a large amount of protein and fat. Feeding mainly mixed feed, with a lack of coarse fiber (hay) leads to a sad outcome, in stages.
- Rabbit obesity – a violation of the general metabolism, reducing the reproductive qualities of animals.
- High levels of protein in the blood – a strong smell of urine due to the accumulation of oxidized nitrogenous substances, components of proteins.
- Reduced intestinal motility – disgusting smell of litter due to fermentation and rotting of the contents, damage to the liver.
- As a result – a disease of the digestive and urinary system, often death due to improper treatment. A person thinks that in this case it is necessary to give antibiotics, probiotics, but you just need to normalize feeding, reduce concentrates, increase hay, grass, branches.
The composition of feed for rabbits, how to determine the quality of the eye
Formula feed, this is the result of research in feed production. However, when buying, you need to quickly choose feed for rabbits, pay attention.
- The shelf life of the best feed not more than 1.5 months from the date of manufacture.
- Compound feed for rabbits of good quality should consist of durable granules of gray-green, resemble the color of grass meal, brittle and dust-like fractions of granules are dangerous to the health of rabbits sensitive to respiratory diseases.
- Instead of feed, you can offer a feed mixture, ask the seller whether the meal has been heat treated, without it it is harmful to the rabbit.
- The size of the granules matter, take the granules of medium size. It has been proven in foreign studies that the best granule size for a rabbit is 1.0 mm, however, granules from 4.7 to 7.7 mm are common in Russia. Choose a smaller, hard to break.
- The weight of the feed should correspond to the weight of the main components, if more, probably added mineral components.
- Pay attention to the amount of exchange energy of the compound feed composition, approximately 0.9 mJ or 210 kcal (for full-composition) and up to 300 kcal (for concentrate).
- If there are unknown components in the feed, ask them to explain their purpose, they may be poisonous to rabbits.
Is it possible to give pork rabbits feed
Giving pork feed for rabbits can be. The composition of the feed for piglets approximately corresponds to the physiological needs of rabbits. However, in the pig feed a little grass meal and not enough salt. When feeding rabbits with pork feed, be sure to give hay and salt as an additive. Good pork feed in the form of pellets is difficult to find. Piglets are usually fed with feed placers or pellets. Better yet find granulated feed.
Is it possible to give rabbits feed for fish
Pond carp is a herbivorous fish; in aquaculture grain based feed is used. Despite the similar parameters of feed for pond carp and rabbit, for example, cereals (barley, wheat), corn and wheat bran, grass meal do not use this type of feed. Perhaps soybean meal, sunflower, others are not subjected to heat treatment in carp feed, compound feed for rabbits does not allow this. In the literature there are references to the use of fish feed for rabbits, but the brand of recipes is unknown.
Is it possible to give the rabbit chicken feed
Observing the rules of feeding feed, added to the chicken diet shell rock, it is necessary for birds. Crushed shells are involved in the grinding of solid food in the muscular stomach of chickens. For rabbits the shell rock is a harmful component, litters intestines. Use chicken feed for feeding rabbits is not worth it. However, if you manage to find feed without shell rock or silicate, you can try.
Can rabbits feed cows?
The classic example is when supplements to some animals are very useful, and to others deadly poison. Dry feed propylene glycol, glycerin, feed urea, for cows are sources of protein, and for rabbits in large volumes – a threat to health. If these additives are not in the feed, you can use.
Daily allowance of feed for different groups
The daily need of rabbits for compound feeds changes significantly in a different season of the year, in a different physiological state (sukolnost, okrol, lactation, fattening). Below are the average norms of the daily need for animal feed in pedigree rabbits and males feeding rabbits, fattening rabbits and repair rabbits.
Approximate rate for females and males during rest
It has been scientifically proven how much feed a rabbit eats per day. For an adult rabbit, in the dormant period, 180 grams of feed are required, and in the period of rest 230 grams of feed per day. The source of protein for the enrichment of diets are cake, bran, meat and bone and fish meal, they are included in the composition of animal feed. Barley, potatoes, and corn should not be given to food for males during the period of mating. Good quality hay must be kept at the trough.
Approximate rate for nursing rabbits
The rabbit’s milk contains a record amount of protein, 16% and fat, 11%, the maximum milk flow in the third week of lactation. The amount of milk excreted by the rabbit, by the third week of lactation increases from 50 to 200 ml per day. In order for the rabbit to double its body weight by the sixth day of life, to have a high growth rate in the future, the rabbit needs to be fed feed per day:
- 1-10 day of lactation, about 300-330 grams of feed;
- 11-20 day of lactation is about 400-450 grams
- 21-30 days of lactation give about 500-550 grams of feed;
- 31-45 day of lactation give about 650-700 grams of feed.
Hay must be given plenty, constantly must be in the manger. It is proved that the optimal type of feeding rabbits at home is a combination of feed, coarse (hay, grass) and succulent feed (roots). In winter and summer, the little rabbits who received the indicated ration were many babies, they had enough milk to feed their offspring.
Approximate rate for fattening youngsters
It is known how much the rabbit needs to feed feed per day when fattening for meat to ensure a high level of weight gain. The average daily weight gain for fattening rabbit is about 35-40 grams. Consumption of feed for rabbits, can be reduced by reducing the time for fattening, adding cheap feed from the backyard.
- a rabbit aged 46-60 days should consume 120-140 grams;
- a rabbit at the age of 61-90 days should consume 190-200 grams;
- A rabbit aged 91-120 days should consume 260-280 grams.
Hay must be given without restriction. The total need for 45 days of fattening (from 46 to 120 days) amounts to approximately 16 kg of complete feed per rabbit. It is better for young animals to give hay or green mass from alfalfa, and for adult animals it is better to combine mixed fodder with timothy.
Approximate rate for young stock
Repair is called the young rabbits, which are left to check the breeding qualities. Young animals older than 70 days (the largest, corresponding to the exterior of the breed) are selected from the females that have shown the best results after fertilizing (multiplicity, milkiness). The need for feed replacement stocking is 200 grams per day, excluding hay. Repair rabbits are considered to be from 70 to 150 days old. Next, the young are assessed, rejected, or left as breeding.
Annual turnover of a herd of rabbits
The calculation of the annual turnover of the herd of rabbits primarily involves the calculation of the need for compound feeds for different age and gender groups. Rabbits during the year can be included in different groups:
- young stock (chopped, fattening)
- breeding males
- breeding females alone
- females are pregnant;
- Females are lactating.
There are different methods of calculating the turnover, we offer a simplified.
The method of calculating the annual consumption of feed for one conditional rabbit
The daily need of rabbits in the feed differs from the annual need of the rabbits in the feed. The annual calculation of the need for rabbits in the feed is not complicated, but it needs to be understood. In rabbit breeding, calculations are made based on 5 conditional pregnancies of the rabbit per year. There are 365 days in a year, of which 15 days is the rabbit period, 150 is the rabbit’s pregnancy, 200 is the rabbit’s lactation.
Calculation of the need of a female for such a period
The chance period for a rabbit lasts 15 days. We plan 5 pregnancies of the female, it turns out for three days for one pregnancy. The total mating period lasts 3×5 = 15 days. For 15 days a year, 3.45 kg of compound feed is required (established experimentally).
Calculating the needs of a pregnant rabbit
In the year of the rabbit is pregnant 5 times, multiplied by 30 – the period of one pregnancy. 150 days turn out – the general term of pregnancies for a year. One sukrololnuyu rabbit need 27.0 kg of feed (established empirically).
Calculate the need lactating rabbit
One lactation of a rabbit lasts 40 days on average. We have planned 5 okrolov. 40×5 = 200 days. Thus, the total period of all lactations per year is 200 days. The need for 200 days is 36.5 kg of feed (established empirically).
The annual need for feed, one conditional rabbit, is 67 kg
How many eat young fattening before slaughter
Separately, we consider the annual need of young for fattening in animal feed. Fattening of young stock lasts 70 days, begins from 40 days (weaning from the lactating female) and ends at 110 days (time of slaughter for meat). For feeding 40 days requires 14.5 kg of feed. If one rabbit is taken up to 8 rabbits, it turns out that for 8 fattening rabbits you need 116 kg of feed.
What kinds of feed can be made for rabbits with your own hands
Sometimes readers ask a question how to make compound feed with their own hands. The easiest advice is to take a ready-made recipe for feed for rabbits and mix all the ingredients. Making food for rabbits, granulated with your own hands at home is almost impossible. Too many technological intricacies and expensive equipment. A completely acceptable, home-made compound feed for rabbits is called feed mixture and mash.
- Feed mix – feed for rabbits with their own hands without a granulator, includes a mixture of feed for a rabbit in proportions close to the complete feed, but without some technological steps and components.
- Blender is a type of semi-wet food, the basis of which is rabbit food that is steamed in hot water.
Simple recipes, feed for rabbits do it yourself
Recipe feed mixture №1. The composition of the feed do it yourself for rabbits. For 100 parts of the mixture take rolled or coarsely ground oats and barley 64 pieces. Avoid finely ground grains; rabbits should not be given pulverized food. Sunflower oilcake or soybean meal (pre-fry) in an amount of 20 parts. Wheat bran is added in an amount of 15 parts. Salt 1 part. Be sure to additionally give hay or grass in plenty, as well as root crops up to 200 grams per day.
Recipe feed mixture №2. Composition of feed for rabbits with your own hands For 100 parts of the feed mixture, take barley and coarse corn 15 parts, wheat bran 14 parts, sunflower oil cake 10 parts, table salt 1 part, grass-legume hay (timothy and clover) 60 parts, and root crops daily The rate of 200 grams per day.
In personal subsidiary farms, a good substitute for expensive feed can be semi-wet feed – mash. They are quite nourishing, made immediately before handing out to rabbits. Almost always made of three components, the ratio of 60: 39: 1.
Recipe mash №1. To steam up any kind of root vegetables in hot water (potatoes, fodder beets, swede), add mixed fodder or crushed grain to the steamed vegetables (one or two species), and the Ushashik or Zdvur type premix is added to the mixture cooled to 30 degrees.
Recipe mash №2. Steamed out beet pulp, shredded (oats, corn), wheat bran, meat and bone meal or premix (indicated above).
Recipe mash №3. Steamed cleaning vegetables, wheat bran, grass meal, milk whey or premix.